St. Andrew's Church - The Scots in the East India Company brought their 'rivalry' with the English to the banks of the Hooghly and when their own church was built in 1818 by Messrs Burn, Currie & Co. This is yet another colonial church built in the early 19th century which owes its design to the oft-copied St Martin-in-the-Fields in London. Its location at the top of Old Court House Street made this church a focal point in the city which it retains to this day. ------------------------------------
The Writers' Building is the secretariat building of the State Government of West Bengal in India. It is and is located in West Bengal's capital city of Kolkata. The Writers' Building originally served as the office for writers of the British East India Company, hence the name. Designed by Thomas Lyon in 1780, it received its impressive Corinthian façade, an example of the Neo-Renaissance style, in 1889. There is a statue of Britannia atop the main entrance. The building is located on the northern shore of the a water body locally called Lal Dighi in B.B.D. Bagh area. Various departments of the West Bengal government are housed in this building. It is an edifice of great political significance and memories of the Indian Independence Movement.