St. Madeline's Church in Ruhnu is the oldest known wooden building still standing in Estonia - its construction was started in 1643. After the Ruhnu Swedish left, the purpose of this house of God was forgotten for half a century. The wooden church was newly consecrated in 1999.
Good to know:
The collection of glass paintings from the Ruhnu wooden church is located in the History Museum in Stockholm.
The oldest parts of the building are the polygonal choir and altar, and the nave.
The altar is covered with a thin, polished stone slate; the oaken frame stands on sand and is open towards the south.
More info at - http://www.visitestonia.com/en/st-madeline-s-church-in-ruhnu
View More »