Christchurch Priory was established in the mid-12th century, around the same time the nearby castle was rebuilt in stone. It stands on the site of a former Norman church and an even earlier Saxon Priory.
Building work continued throughout the following centuries, encompassing the Early English and later Perpendicular Gothic styles ending with the Great Quire, with its pendant and lantern vaulted ceiling, in the 16th century. The final finishing touches were undertaken shortly before the priory was dissolved in 1539.
Today, it remains in use as a parish church.