Skagen Lighthouse, also known as the Grey Lighthouse, was built in 1858. Standing 46 metres high, it is the second tallest lighthouse in Denmark. It guarded against ships foundering on the notorious shifting sands around Grenen, at the northern tip of Denmark where the North Sea and Baltic Sea converge. It remained in service until 2013.
Today it is run by the Danish Nature Agency in partnership with the Danish Ornithological Society - BirdLife Denmark, Frederikshavn Municipality and Turisthus Nord. The area a key migratory route for birds on the way to and from their breeding grounds in northern Scandinavia.