The Marsh Marthen House was built in 1836 by Spencer Stewart Marsh. During the Civil War, it became obvious that the war would come to Northwest Georgia. So, the Marsh family moved to Cassville, Georgia. While they were away, the house was occupied by Union Troops. After the war, the Marshes returned to find that all their furniture and household items had been taken. The floors in the downstairs hall were blood soaked and marked with hoof prints. Lots of bullets were found in the outer walls of the house, and there were bullet holes in the glass around the south upstairs outer door.