The Old Town Bridge was built in 1681 as a part of Cicignon's city plan. Through the centuries, this bridge has gone through a number of alterations. The bridge still standing today was constructed in 1861 by municipal engineer Carl Adolph Dahl in 1861. This bridge could be lifted and kept open with the help from the ornamented red portals which are still to be found on the bridge. In the middle of the 20th century, however, the majority of the wooden foundations of the bridge was replaced with a more solid concrete construction.
The bridge is 82 metres long. Its nickname as the «The Portal of Happiness» is taken from the lyrics of Oskar Hoddø’s waltz «Nidelven stille og vakker du er».