Lichfield Cathedral is the only three-spired medieval cathedral in Britain. They are often referred to as 'the Ladies of the Vale'. The current gothic building dates from the 13th century and sits on the site of an earlier Saxon church founded by St Chad. It was expanded over several centuries.
During the English Civil War it was devastated by fighting and vandalism. It was later restored after Charles II returned to the throne. In 1803, the windows in the Lady Chapel were furnished with Flemish stained glass purchased from Herckenrode Abbey.