Mother Church, Chagas Chapel. Built from 1544, in the final phase of the third Manueline period, already in the reign of D. João III (1521-1557), of the maritime expansion; framed within the 3-nave hall churches with central tower (1517-1540). They are models of pseudo-fortified churches, exported to distant lands of the kingdom such as the Churches of Santa Catarina (now disappeared) and Senhora do Rosário in Goa. They follow the Vitruvian (Classical) geometry of the Tuscan order of 3 naves, with central pillars of the nave equally spaced in plan and a separation of 4 parts between central pillars, for 3 parts in the lateral naves. The first church that started this style was that of Nª Srª da Assunção de Elvas started in 1517, by Francisco de Arruda.