The wooden Church (St. Madeline's Church) is the oldest known wooden building still standing in Estonia - its construction was started in 1643. After the Ruhnu Swedish left, the purpose of this house of God was forgotten for half a century. The wooden church was newly consecrated in 1999.
More info at - http://www.visitestonia.com/en/st-madeline-s-church-in-ruhnu
Ruhnu's New Church was built two meters from the old wooden church. The walls of the church are made from rocks cut to shape on location. Only the church tower was built from wood. The New Church was consecrated in 1912.
Good to know:
Proud standing on the church balcony is Nikolaus Bell, one of the oldest church bells in Estonia.
Only candlelight is used for lighting services.
In 2006, the congregation of the small island with a population of 60 used their own resources to repair the leaning cross at the top of the tower, and the tower top shot full of holes by seal hunters.