This is the central square of Estate "B", the second estate of "New Tychy", which was built in 1952-1959 according to a design by Kazimierz Wejchert and Hanna Adamczewska (later, as his wife, Hanna Adamczewska-Wejchert).
Originally it was called Bierut Square, in honor of a communist politician and the first president of the Polish People's Republic. In 1950s and 1960s here were held all important municipal ceremonies. For many years it was also a main trading center of the developing new city. Here were many good shops, restaurants, cafes, and even a cinema called "Andromeda" with 650 seats - at the opening in 1961 it was one of the largest and the best equipped cinemas in Poland.
Characteristic of the square was also a building known as the "house with the towers" ("dom z wieżyczkami"), constituing its south frontage.
In 1989 the square was renamed to Baczyński Square, in honor of a famous Polish poet, who perished in the Warsaw Uprising. In 2010 there were created the "cubes of poetry" - an installation in the form of a few stone cubes with Baczyński's poems written (also in Braille) on glass modules, which are illuminated at night.
View More »