There is not an exact date for the foundation of this monastery. It seems that a group of Augustinian monks established a hospital for pilgrims in the XIth C.
During the XIIth and XIIIth centuries the hospital belonged to the Premostratensian order, being the Abbot of the monastery Mayor of Urdax and the neighbour village of Zugarramurdi until 1785. Nothing remains from its mediaeval age. What we can see today was built during XVIth and XVIIIth centuries, age of its highest splendor.
The cloister of the monastery houses today an art exibition of renowned artists from the Basque Country.