From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
Urnäsch is a municipality in the canton of Appenzell Ausserrhoden, Switzerland.
In 831 AD a part of Urnäsch known as Färchen was first mentioned. In 1344 the village is sold to the German Earl Werdenberg,
but later the Abbey of St. Gall acquired the land.
After the battles in Vögelinsegg (1403) and Stoss (1405) the land gained independence as part of Appenzell.
In 1417 a church was built. This is considered the formal establishment of Urnäsch. There was a devastating fire in 1641.