Fort Van der Wijck, which was built in 1818 by General Johannes Van den Bosch. The military compound served to train soldiers for later service in the Royal Netherlands East Indies Army. Van der Wijck was the name of the Dutch commander at that time. Suharto, the second President of Indonesia, began his service here on 1 June 1940 prior to the Japanese occupation. The fort was used by the Indonesian Armed Forces until 2000. Since then the compound has been developed as a recreational site.