The Silver City Schoolhouse is located in the historic town of Silver City, Nevada, located just south of the more famous Virginia City. From the sign:
Silver City Schoolhouse
The growing town of Silver City built a schoolhouse at this site in 1867-1868. Enrollment was as high as 166 students during the 1880s. Children were educated here for nearly a century until the school closed in 1958.
The building then began its career as the Silver City community center and volunteer fire department. The fire department parked trucks inside the south classroom. Community events took place in the north classroom.
Fire destroyed the schoolhouse in 2004. The community center was rebuilt in 2007 on the same place. The new building closely resembles the old schoolhouse in size and architectural style. Materials from the original building are incorporated into the new structure.
State Historical Marker No. 264
State Historic Preservation Office
Residents and Friends of Silver City