Mali Stapar Lock on the canal Bezdan - Vrbas is the oldest lock in Vojvodina which is still in use. It was constructed in 1802 during construction of the Grand Backa Canal which is considered the true forerunner of the Danube-Tisa-Danuba hydrosystem. The Grand Backa Canal was designed by the brothers Joszef and Gabor Kiss and at the time it represented the largest hydrosystem in the Danube region and south-east Europe by which the Danube and the Tisa were connected in the period from 1793 to 1802. When the state administration in Vienna authorized the construction of mills using the difference in water level at the lock, the first and the largest mill was then constructed in Mali Stapar. It looks the same as in 1848 when it was opened for navigation and it remained in operation until 1976. Mali Stapar was also chosen as the site for building the technical head office for management for canal construction in 1898.