The history of the bookshop dates back to 1869, when it is founded on Rua dos Clérigos the International Bookstore Ernesto Chardron. After the unexpected death of Chardron, at 45 years of age, the publishing house was sold to Lugan & Genelioux Successors firm. In 1894 Mathieux Lugan sold the bookstore Chardron José Pinto de Sousa Lello who then owned a bookstore in Almada Street. Associated with the brother, Antonio Lello, keep the Bookstore Chardron, with the name of José Pinto de Sousa Lello & Brother, until 1919, the year the company name changes to Lello & Irmão Lda. The current building was opened in 1906, with the presence on the opening day of, among others, Guerra Junqueiro, José Leite de Vasconcelos and Alfonso Costa. In 2008 the British newspaper The Guardian considered the third most beautiful in the world.