These are the remains of The Monk’s Fishing House located in the grounds of Cong Abbey. This ingenious structure was built sometime between 1400 and 1550 on a platform over the River Cong. A small arched opening allows the river to flow underneath the floor of the building and a trapdoor allowed the monks to drop a net to catch fish. A line was then connected to the kitchen in the monastery to alert of a fresh catch. The house also had a chimney and a fireplace to keep the monks nice and warm whilst fishing..a perfect retreat!