As posted on the National Park Service information sign near this stone building:
“1836 Weaver House
Leo and Hazel Weaver had big plans for their newly purchased ranch as they flipped old cabins into rentals for guests. They hired Hopi stonemason Poli Hugavi to build this house which acted as the main lodge. The rustic Paradise Canyon Ranch was open for business, but lacked electricity, running water, and returning guests.
Where pioneers had persevered years before, the Weavers struggled to make a profit, and soon gave up their cowboy dream. Gus and Ramona Griffin bought the ranch to enjoy their retirement in isolation and nature. In later years, the Griffins sold to a group of private investors who added electricity and replanted the orchard.
In 1974, ownership changed hands for the final time. The National Park Service now maintains the ranch to preserve the history of western exploration.”