Cappadocian Stone Churches

Anatolia belongs to the earliest Christian areas. Under the Ottoman sultans it was nearly impossible to build new churches. This changed around 1830 and ended with WW I and the Greek-Turkish peoples exchange in 1923.

The Kizil Kilise (= red Church) had been built in the 6th century. It is the best preserved early Byzantine church in Cappadocia which had not been carved into the rock. It has its modern name from the red stone it's made of.
Nevsehir, Meryem Ana Church: After the Turkish-Greek people exchange in 1923, this church was first used to store goods. In 1950 it had been changed into a prison. In the middle of the church they have built a second floor and several walls create...
Nevsehir, Meryem Ana Church After the Turkish-Greek people exchange in 1923, this church was first used to store goods. In 1950 it had been changed into a prison. In the middle of the church they have built a second floor and several walls created...
Nevsehir, Meryem Ana Church: After the Turkish-Greek people exchange in 1923, this church was first used to store goods. In 1950 it had been changed into a prison. In the middle of the church they have built a second floor and several walls create...
Nevsehir, Meryem Ana Church: After the Turkish-Greek people exchange in 1923, this church was first used to store goods. In 1950 it had been changed into a prison. In the middle of the church they have built a second floor and several walls create...
This ruin of an Armenian? church lies above the village of Hançerli. The roof is collapsed and raised the level of the ground up to the windows. Shepherds closed the windows with stones and use the open space as a sheepcote.
Nevsehir, Meryem Ana Church: After the Turkish-Greek people exchange in 1923, this church was first used to store goods. In 1950 it had been changed into a prison. In the middle of the church they have built a second floor and several walls create...
Agios Basileios, a Greek church from the 19th century in central Turkey. - If you have any information about the church or the village etc., please contact the photographer - thank you!
This church in Derinkuyu from 1860 had been turned into a mosque in 1949 and is called Cumhuriyet Camii. It is one of the rare examples with an iconostasis. Also the wallpaintings have not been painted over. Only religious figures were covered. Be...
The Greek name of the village Başköy was Potamia, homeland of St.Georg. The Greek church, in front of the minaret, was used as mosque after 1923. Today it's in danger of collapse and can't be visited anymore.
Outside of Güzelyurt (= nice homeland) there is the Yueksek Kilise on the top of a rock. From here you have a great view into the area around. In the background one can see the Mount Hasan (3260m), which is one of the volcanoes responsible for the...
Dedicated to St.Dimitrios, the church was inaugurated on17th of Nov. 1835. Later the church had been redecorated. Inside are still some frescoes. Today its falling into ruins.
Nevşehir: Meryem Ana KiliseAfter the Turkish-Greek people exchange in 1923, this church was first used to store goods. In 1950 it had been changed into a prison. In the middle of the church they have built a second floor and several walls created ...
The old name of the village Güzelöz is Mavrucan. The remains of early settlements are everywhere visible. Here a cave is used as a stable for sheep. In the neighbourhood one can find some cave churches and a Greek stone church (Agios Eustatios) wi...
Agios Eustatios church in Güzelöz (=Mavrucan): The church is connected to a cave. The dome and the walls show a few frescoes. According to a sign in the village it is dated to the 7th century.