The Cathedral of Braga occupies an enviable place in the urban space: it is exactly in the middle of the Roman city, on the wall of the Roman city. This situation may seem unusual, especially with regard to the Roman city, but it is relatively normal because it happens in other European cities. The archaeological excavations in the surrounding of the Cathedral indicate that under its immediate chapel and rear there was a Roman temple. This temple is not directly related, but it is believed that there has been a Christian temple before the construction of the Cathedral. It was with Bishop D.Pedro (1070-1091) that the primitive sé begins to be developed. In 1089 he would be almost ready and was sacred with the presence of the Bishops of Tuy Orense and Dume. It was an ambitious project with a dimension and plant equivalent to the Cathedral of Sainte-Foy de Conques. There was the desire to convert Braga into an important pilgrimage center because there were serious doubts about the presence of the apostle Santiago Greater in the Iberian Peninsula. There was a need not to lose religious protagonism in relation to Santiago de Compostela.