The city of Mirandela is located in the Vale do Rio Tua, in a flat area of very fertile soils where olive trees are cultivated. Around it, there are many hills and, for these reasons, in Mirandela there is a microclimate characterized by hot and muggy summers, which give it the name Terra Transmontana Hot. The city is at an altitude of 210 meters to 280 meters. Mirandela's soil is predominantly schist. Mirandela was elevated to the category of city in 1984. The city of Mirandela, which is supposed to have been called Caladunum, is now the second largest municipality in the district of Bragança, and is subdivided into 30 parishes. It is located north of the Douro River. In 1250 King Afonso III was assigned a charter to the city. This letter served to delimit the territory, making it possible to establish socio-economic relations.