Venice - a dream

The island Burano north of Venice is well known for its colourful houses.
The island Burano north of Venice is well known for its colourful houses.
This small square is located directly at the Canale Grande, not far from the Ponte degli Scalzi close to the railway station Santa Lucia.
The island Burano north of Venice is well known for its colourful houses. Here we are in front of the church Chiesa di San Martino from the 16th century.
Here, close to the fish market, we have a nice view across the Canale Grande at the Palaces Ca' d' Oro (15th century, left of the landing stage), Palazzo Giustinian Pesaro and Palazzo Morosini Sagredo (both 14th/15th century, right of the landing ...
The big open wooden door is the entrance to the Scuola Grand Delle Misericordia. In historical times this was one of seven "Scuole Grandi", important associations with members of the Venetian high society. Today the building serves for exhibitions...
This street is named after Giuseppe Garibaldi, the Italian general who is called to be one of Italy's "fathers of the fatherland". Here are many shops with the goods for the daily life of the Venetians. In Christmas time there are some small stand...
This small square is in front of the Fabbriche Vecchie di Rialto. In 1514 a big fire destroyed many buildings of the economically important area of Rialto. The Fabbriche Vecchie di Rialto were built from 1520 to 1522.
The Piazza San Marco is the the only square in Venice that is allowed to be called piazza. All the others have to settle for beeing called piazzetta or campo. Today's size and shape are the results of centuries of changes. Here public proclamation...
The island Torcello is one of the oldest settlement area in the Venetian lagoon. The floor of a 1st century Roman villa had been discovered under the surface of the sea. In the 10th century the island was richer than Venice. It had more than 10000...
View at a small square in front of the Palazzo Querini Stampalia from the 16th century. Today the palace serves as a museum with changing exhibitions.
The bridge leads to the Campo di Sant Alvise and a church with the same name. The church belongs to a convent which had been founden in 1388. Inside the church a big fresco covers the roof and three of the paintings are made by Tiepolo around 1738...
Right after sunset at the Canale Grande (Fondamenta Cavalli) with the  Rialto  Bridge. The position of the panorama is a jetty between Palazzo Corner Martinengo (right of the jetty, 16th century) and the Palazzo Ca' Farsetti (left, 13th century).