Main cloister of the Convento de Cristo. A project wich was the culmination of the most splendid and dramatic reform of the Order of Christ. It was transformed into an enclosed order subject to the Rule of S.Benedict, by order of King João III, as from 1529. The new Convent, built almost in its entirety by João de Castilho, between 1531 and 1550, in Renaissance language matured troughout the six cloisters and their dependencies, surrounding the manueline nave. Initially built by Juan de Castillo, the Claustro Principal was demolished and substituted by the current building, designed by Diogo de Torralva, the architect in charge from 1554 onwards.