The early perpendicular St James Church, Chipping Campden, with an entrance path lined with 12 lime trees to represent the 12 Apostles. There was a Norman church on this site prior to 1180. This was developed and added to during the following 300 years to give the church in its current form. One of the Thousand Best Churches in England, the tower at 36.5m (120ft) can be seen from all appraoch roads into Chipping Campden. To the right of the church is the gatehouse to the walled Campden House built in 1613 to 1620. Only the gatehouse, lodges and the restored banqueting hall remain of the original 4.5 hectares (11 acres) of house and gardens which were mostly burned down in 1645 by the Royalists during the English Civil War to prevent them falling into the hands of the Parliamentarians. The old Court Barn is now a Museum to the Arts & Crafts Movement which moved from London to be based in Chipping Campden in the early 1900's. To the left side of the one way road is a short moat or depression in the grass. This was a cart wheel wash, built about 1830 to clean the wheels of the carts coming into the village from the fields. Opposite the cart dip on the right of the road are the Almshouses. Built in 1612 by Sir Baptist Hicks a wealthy silk merchant (once Mayor of London and First Lord Campden, he had also built Campden House) for 6 poor men and 6 poor women of Chipping Campden.