In 638 AD Omar ibn Al-Khattab visited Bethlehem as an envoy of the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh). He prayed where the Mosque that carries his name now stands.
The existing Mosque was built in 1860 and was last renovated in 1954. The Mosque is a symbol of religious co-existence in Bethlehem.
It was built on lands donated by the Greek Orthodox Church to the Muslims, and it is the only Muslim shrine of worship in the Old City of Bethlehem.
View More »